Unless you have missing teeth, you may not be familiar with a sinus lift procedure. It is a dental procedure that is performed by an experienced doctor in order to correct a loss of jaw bone volume due to sagging sinus membrane. This is especially recommended for those who want to undergo a procedure to place dental implants.
What is a Sinus Lift?
When a tooth is lost or extracted, a process of resorption that causes the bone to deteriorate at a fast pace begins to occur. When the missing teeth are the back, upper molars, the loss of bone can leave an empty space that the sinus membrane fills. Dr. Michael C. Stypula corrects this condition with a sinus lift in Pittsburgh, PA. During a sinus lift, the membrane is gently raised. Bone tissue is placed beneath it, in order to restore bone volume and maintain the new sinus placement. After bone volume has been restored, dental implants are able to be placed effectively.
The Advantages of a Sinus Lift
· A sagging sinus membrane is corrected and restored to its previous position
· Bone volume is augmented and lost bone volume restored
· Prepares you for the placement of dental implants, which require sufficient bone volume for success
· Can correct other issues that can hamper implant placement, such as limited jaw bone height or a sinus that is too close to the upper jaw
· Restores bone volume damaged by periodontal disease or tooth loss
If you want to replace missing teeth with dental implants and have experienced significant bone loss, call our office to schedule a consultation with Dr. Stypula. He is an experienced periodontist who specializes in implant dentistry. Dr. Stypula can inform you of all of your options, including a sinus lift in Pittsburgh, PA, and provide you with excellent dental care.